Sunday, May 19, 2013

DIY Chocolate Syrups


That's right folks... all those decadent and delicious flavors for your coffee, milk and ice cream in minutes! Yeaaaaaa! Not only do we not get decent iced coffee in my area of Germany, but the cafes (which I LOVE) don't offer seasonal drinks. This is my simple solution to that! 
Here is a base recipe for simple, delicious and inexpensive milk chocolate syrup.

Milk Chocolate Sauce
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (like Hershey's or Ghiradelli)
1 1/2 cups sugar
A pinch of salt
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup water

In a small saucepan, gently whisk together the sugar, cocoa, and salt. Add the water and bring the mixture to a boil and be sure to stir it occasionally. Reduce heat and let your syrup cook for one minute. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Store in the refrigerator and drizzle it on EVERYTHING.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

For other flavored syrups, use the same recipe and instead of using vanilla use these flavors! I found that the perfect amount of flavor for this amount of chocolate syrup was (almost) a teaspoon of the extracts... You can add more or less to suit your taste. Drizzle the syrups in milk or coffee, over ice cream or blend to make a milk shake or frappe. 

Coconut Mocha (my personal fav)
(almost) 1 tsp coconut extract. Mixed with iced coffee, it tastes like a toasted coconut mocha! Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut.

Butter Rum
(almost) 1 tsp rum extract
Garnish with whipped cream.

Thin Mint
(almost) 1 tsp mint extract
Garnish with whipped cream crushed thin mints.

Almond Joy
1/2 tsp almond extract and 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut.

Chocolate Hazelnut
(almost) 1 tsp hazelnut extract
Garnish with whipped cream and toasted, crushed Hazelnuts.

Biscotti
(almost) 1 tsp almond extract
Garnish with whipped cream and crushed biscotti.

Shazaam! You now have yourself some delicious, homemade syrups! They make beautiful gifts too!

I like mine over ice-cold Illy coffee topped with whipped cream... It is HEAVEN!

What is your favorite flavor???


6 comments:

  1. Oh, these syrups sound (and look!) really good… I think, I have to take some time and mix a lot of delicious stuff together! :)

    Love, Midsommarflicka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! if you do it let me know which one is your fav!! I am loving the coconut for summer!! xo

      Delete
  2. Yum...and I happen to have all of the ingredients, so I will be making this TODAY! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! How long will the keep in the refrigerator? My boys love chocolate milk and I thought this would be great for them (and for my coffee!), but I don't let them have it too often so I'd need it to keep in the fridge for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! To be honest I don't know the proper amount of time, but ours did fine over a week and a half! I hope that helps! Enjoy!!

      Delete

Thanks for the lovely comments! Each and everyone means so much to me! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...